Miscarriage – the word can be traumatic for women who have gone through it. Yes, it is indeed very unfortunate to lose your baby. Many women can see the symptoms for miscarriages at 6 weeks of their pregnancy. Though many women see it as their destiny to have gone through it, most of them can prevent this accident to happen if they know their body and factors related to miscarriage. This article can help them understand why and how a miscarriage happens.
What is miscarriage?
If you do not completely know the term, then you must know that miscarriage means a loss of fetus that may happen before 6 weeks of pregnancy or later. Well, yes there are women who have experienced early miscarriages, as early as 6, 12, 20 weeks. Most women will see the symptoms of miscarriage at 6 weeks of pregnancy like spotting or heavy bleeding. Women may also experience sharp to mild pain in the lower part of the stomach and the lower back.
Many times miscarriages occur due to emotional reasons or physical reasons or sometimes for no reason at all. You might have heard of women who complain that they are happy and very healthy and everything was going great with them. Then suddenly miscarriage happened. The chance of miscarriage at 6 weeks looms largely and is quite common with women.
Know more about miscarriages
There are various types of miscarriages and women want to know more about it. Let me tell you one thing, miscarriage does not relate to race, caste or religion. It is a complex issue and anybody can go through this traumatic experience. Did you know that some women have recurrent miscarriage? Which means they go through three or more in a row? Now how traumatic can this be? Then there are women who have late miscarriage, (less common) which can be difficult to bear. And some at a very early stage, which is very common.
Causes of miscarriage
We will see what can cause a miscarriage:
1. Chromosomal abnormalities
2. Health problems in women
3. Sticky blood syndrome that causes blood clots is reason for recurrent miscarriage
4. Abnormalities in the uterus like infection, fibroids, weak cervix, early opening, and abnormal baby.
5. Sexually transmitted infections like syphilis or polycystic ovaries.
6. Lifestyle causes like smoking, drinking, cocaine, caffeine are definite reasons for miscarriages
7. Stress at work and at home, mental pressure, tension with spouse, financial problems etc.
8. Strenuous exercise or heavy sports during pregnancy
9. Age factor, too young or too old for pregnancy can be a risk.
How to avoid miscarriage?
Yes, every woman should know how to take care of her body. There are some simple precautions that one can take to reduce risk of miscarriage at 6 weeks. You might be thinking that eating right and having a good night sleep is all you need. But there is more to it. A women’s body is complex, there are many factors that lead to miscarriage. So a deeper knowledge is a must. Do you ever visit a doctor for a routine checkup? No? Then if you are planning pregnancy, then first visit a doctor. He will tell you if your body is ready for pregnancy or not. This is a very significant step if you want to have a healthy pregnancy.
Some basic precautions are:
1. Stay away from alcohol and smoking.
2. Women with hypertension, diabetes or thyroid should be extra careful.
3. Before conceiving, take folic acid supplements.
5. Avoid stress at any cost.