It is always a happy moment discovering that you are expecting, especially for first-time mothers. The discovery may increase curiosity in you about whether to see a doctor as soon as possible. You might have a lot of questions about what’s normal and what is not.
It has been observed that most women have healthy pregnancies. However, it is always a better decision to see a doctor and take required test to confirm that it’s a healthy pregnancy. Taking good care of yourself can keep you at best of health and in long run, very beneficial.
Here are some symptoms that you may observe as early signs of pregnancy during first trimester. These symptoms are indicative, and may not occur at the same time to same person.
- Vaginal Bleeding: Doctors say that little bleeding is normal, but heavy bleeding can be a sign of miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. Usually bleeding coupled with bad cramping is associated with miscarriage, whereas bleeding with severe lower abdominal pain can be ectopic pregnancy. You need to call a doctor and report the same.
- Menstrual period: Within two weeks of conception, you will start observing changes. Menstrual periods will be light and sometime seem like non-existent.
- Vomiting and Nausea: Vomiting as a symptom has been witnessed by most of the pregnant women. But, the case of nausea is different. Some lucky mothers do not have nausea at all. Feeling of nausea and vomiting usually starts after 6 weeks of conception and get over at the end of first trimester. Nausea can be avoided by taking some ginger infused herbal tea and some drinks like Orange Gatorade. It is also observed that having vomiting reduces the chances of miscarriage.
- Craving for Food: It is likely that you crave for food more during the first trimester.
- Ill feelings: During first trimester you might have ill feelings or stomach discomfort.
- Weight gain: It is possible that as you work-out less and continue to have heavy and frequent diets, you will gain weight.
- Feeling of fullness in lower abdomen: As the embryonic growth increases day after day, consequently, you will feel fullness in lower abdomen. This will continue, and is nothing to worry about.
Signs and symptoms during first trimester are very significant for expecting mothers. Understanding the signs and symptoms correctly and taking necessary steps like seeing a doctor on time can help in having a healthy pregnancy. Also, it will help you to take nutritional diets to avoid anaemia and maintain good haemoglobin level.
Everyone’s body is different and can have different signs and symptoms. If you are a mother, or a first-time mother, please share some signs and symptoms that you might have experienced or observed during first trimester.